Thursday, August 25, 2011

On Becoming ... um ... OLD!

Grammies are supposed to be old.  And plump.  And have grey hair tied up in a little bun and smell like cookies. 

I'm old -- officially as of today, I can retire and start getting Medicare.  And I'm plump.  But we won't go there.

I don't have grey hair -- at least I don't know that I have grey hair.  Actually, I probably do, but since I haven't seen the real color of my hair since it turned an ugly mouse brown when I was pregnant with Tim, I have no idea what color it is.  It's not tied up in a little bun but it is short and I get it cut about every 5 weeks.  I tried for spiky once, but that failed miserably.

Smell like cookies....uh, no, I think today I smell like Calvin Klein's Obsession.  Probably if I smelled like anything it would be a computer.

What does a computer smell like anyhow?

I'm celebrating my big day by working on "stuff", getting a manicure, enjoying every single one of my Facebook Happy Birthday messages, buying myself a couple of books for the Kindle (hey -- it's my BIRTHDAY!!), seeing a mom and baby later this afternoon, and going to Houlihan's for dinner with my Bobbert and dear niece, Rebecca who is finishing her second day of classes at Wheaton College.

So far for my birthday I got a new office chair, an iPhone, and my trip to San Francisco.  Starting in June, I claim anything we need to buy (or want to buy) as a birthday gift.  That makes it all seem legitimate, somehow.  Bob got an iPhone too -- also probably as my birthday present!!

My mother ADORED her birthday.  She loved getting presents -- the more the better.  I think it was her 70th birthday -- was it then?  Lyn would remember...that we wrapped up 70 presents.  Lots of Heath Bars and pencils.  Didn't matter to her what the present actually was, she loved everything!!

Only better thing would be to have All My Children (and Awards) here today.  But I've been blessed -- Jill and the Awards here with Torrey and Chris in July; Tim and Annabel here with Torrey and Chris in August, Lyn and Tim, David & Rebecca here just last week. 

Yes, even getting old, I am truly blessed.

Thank you, Lord for all my birthdays!!

No comments:

Post a Comment