Monday, June 13, 2011

Traveling...Not for the Faint of Heart

Normally I enjoy traveling -- I do a lot of it. But occasionally it becomes a bit frustrating. There probably aren't too many of us that take to the friendly skies that haven't experienced The Lost Luggage Debacle.

Mine was this past week. Flight to Duluth canceled -- there are only two flights to Duluth per day from O'Hare to that pretty town in Minnesota on United -- 1:10 pm and 10:00 pm. After standing in line for 2 3/4 hours -- yes, a rather long time, I was told that though I couldn't fit on the plane at 10:00 -- it was booked solid -- they would send my luggage on that flight as they couldn't change my luggage to a different city. I flew to Minneapolis and took the Skyline Shuttle to Duluth. The hotel took me over to the airport to claim my luggage at 11:30. Not there -- still in Chicago. It would, I was assured, come in on Friday at 3:00 pm. A bit late for a nice change of clothes or the videos I planned to show at the conference, but oh well -- I'm probably not the first person that has had to lecture in my jeans and t-shirt.

Fortunately I had my computers and my lectures on Dropbox, so not to worry.... The nice shuttle driver took me to Walgreens at midnight so I could get some necessities....

Conference went well -- people were lovely. Called the airport at 3:00 -- no luggage. Still in Chicago. However, they could have it to me by midnight. I'm leaving for home at 5:00 am -- do NOT send it to Duluth -- leave it in Chicago, and I'll get it in the morning.

OK, fine.

Except -- uh -- not so fine. Unbeknownst to me, they sent it to Duluth and delivered it to the hotel at 1:00 in the morning. By the time the hotel called me to let me know it was there, I had checked out and was flying back to Chicago where I THOUGHT I was going to meet up with said suitcase. By this time I figured if I never saw my jeans, red t-shirt and denim shirt, it would be too soon.

Of course, it's not there. But they (I'd LOVE to meet "they" sometime) promised it would arrive Saturday afternoon. Not. Sunday morning by 10:00 - and they would call first. Not. Sunday by noon. Not. Sunday by 3:00. Not. "We're a bit backed up," they said.

No kidding.

At 5:30 I get a call from O'Hare after Bob has told some disembodied voice he is going to write to the president of United. "The file was closed because the bag was delivered to Duluth."

Really? After all those phone calls? How is that possible?

"But, I'm looking at your bag right here. We can deliver it with the next round."

Nope - we are coming to get it.

And there it was....3 1/2 days after I bid it farewell, we were reunited again.

I have to fly to DC next. What are the chances I'll make it WITH my suitcase???

No comments:

Post a Comment